Monday, December 14, 2009

Bunny Love

A big thank-you to all those who bought the lavender/vanilla-scented Cuddly Bunnies at GingerSnap over the past month or so.... wow, they went quickly! Those bunnies started off as a gift for my then-in-utero Baby M., who is now four months old. I guess it was a nesting thing that hit me during the last two months of my pregnancy... I made the pattern for those bunnies during a tornado of baby crafts, and made one for him using the unbleached flannelette and some charcoal-coloured flowered fabric. I like to use only a tiny bit of stuffing, so it's easier for little tiny babies to handle, and softer, too. More bunnies coming to Gingersnap soon!


Besides more munkehs, right now Ian and I are working on the tabletop puppet show theatres. He does the woodworking bits, and I do the painting/sewing (this is a good scenario, trust me- I'm rubbish at woodworking and would be dangerous with a saw! Ian, however, is brilliant at wielding a saw with artistry, and the theatres look great). They're about 16" x20" (my estimate) and come with silk curtains. The pegs used to stand them up on the table can be removed for easier storing. The design for the theatres is purely Ian's, but we got the idea to do them from a tiny finger-puppet theatre I have, which I bought in Brazil. It's adorable. The little finger-puppets that came with it are gorgeous, with heads made of papier mache. I actually also bought bigger hand-puppets, made by the same man, too, and they're beautiful! Mermaid, merman, wizard, burleque lady, bumblebee, and Cruella DeVille, complete with cigarette holder. Maybe one day I'll try the papier mache puppets, but for now, I'm not quite that ambitious.... :)


Here are our tabletop theatres! We're also making ones that look like castles. They can be custom-coloured.


Having a crafty afternoon with BFF Ally and her 2-year-old daughter Amelia this afternoon (Baby M. and Ally's baby daughter, too). Ally just learned to knit two weeks ago and has got tons of projects already done, and has now moved on to Christmas ornaments, I think. Amelia's into painting. It's so cold out, I think a nice fire and some hot chocolate might be a good idea. :)

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about making a Puppet show theatre for my neice for her birthday, but I was just going to use a cardboard box. I LOVE the idea of a table-top theatre! Can't wait to see the Castle idea - how much are you selling them for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan,
    Thanks so much- glad you like them! The tabletop theatres are $25, and are custom-painted (you choose the colours) with child-safe paint. They also come in a matching drawstring fabric bag.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete