Monday, January 18, 2010

Baking Birthday Cakes and Cupcake Art

It's freezing here today. Freezing! And I just made the mistake of going downstairs to the kitchen to turn up the heat in my bare feet... gah. Baby M. and I are cozying up in bed, and when he wakes up from his nap, we're going to bake a birthday cake for his nanny (I'll bake; he'll supervise from his musical swing). Been busy these past few days with the work for the Get Baked! show... today I've been working on the sketches for the embroidery wall-art pieces, and I think I've finally got it all under control! I was planning to do one large piece, but I'm going to break it down into three semi-large pieces instead. Now I've got to turn the sketches into heat transfers, iron them onto the cotton I'm using, and then do the stitching... and then they go washed, ironed, stretched and framed. Not a quick process, but hopefully the finished product will raise at least a bit of money for a great cause!

Speaking of baking, if you're into crafty things and like baking, too, please check out my good friend Andreae's blog, With the Crickets. I've known Dreae since junior high school and she's now the domestic goddess of St. John's. Seriously- she's even the go-to girl for media outlets that want to do stories on truffle-making (she's also my go-to girl for all things gluten-free). She writes a food column for a local arts paper, is married to a lovely poet, and has two supermodel kids, with another on the way. AND she can turn things like this:

2 packages of fabric dye and a jersey bedsheet

into this:

A pretty dress! Amazing, wha'?

(I love this picture, not only for the dress, but for her little boy and what he's doing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment