Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sparkly Snowflake Dreams

We had a little houseguest this weekend-- my 10-year-old cousin, Olivia. She's a good girl, sweet and smart and the best hair-braider there is, and Baby M. loves her, so we were happy she came to visit. I had to run out to Fabricville for thread, and Olivia came with me. We were looking through some of the material when Olivia's eye was caught by a bolt of flannel, which happened to be lime green (her favourite colour) with pink stars (bonus) and silver-sparkly snowflakes (glitter = double bonus, especially when you're 10), that was on sale for $2.99 a metre. We bought a metre and a half, and turned it into this:



Jammies (not the cat, LOL)! Pajama pants are one of the easiest things ever to make- cutting out the fabric is seriously the longest part. I've made Ian a pair of the same type of pants, and used a similar pattern to make little fleece pants for Baby M. (fleece, by the way, wicks away wetness, so if your child is wearing fleece pants and has a diaper leak, the pants are almost waterproof- the leak won't reach the outside. Use fabric softener and/or a Bounce sheet when you do laundry, and this will work even better).Olivia and I put a cuff at the bottom of the leg, and made a drawstring waist.



With the scraps of material we had left over, I cut out a heart, ironed it on some interfacing, and stitched it onto one of my old (but not too old) white t-shirts to make a matching pajama top. Once she tried the outfit on, she ended up wearing it home. :)

The cupcake projects are coming along slowly, but I'm getting there... the Get Baked show is a week from Friday coming, so I've got to get my arse in gear! I'm also in the process of organizing a project with a Haitian friend to benefit children in Haiti affected by the earthquake... if you're crafty and are willing to help out, please check back for details, by the end of this week! In the meantime, please click on the CraftHope for Haiti button on the right to check out CraftHope's shop on Etsy. Crafty people all over the world have donated items for sale, and the proceeds are going to Doctors Without Borders for their work in Haiti. $20,000 raised so far, and there are some really gorgeous things (including a super sweet toddler dress made by Andreae- see my previous blog post!).

2 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks for mentioning the dress!

    Those pjs are awesome - I saw that fabric at F-Ville but nowhere near $2.99/m! Are you the coolest cousin ever, or what?

    I've tagged you in a photo game over at my blog, if you want to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia is gorgeous and the pj's are super sweet! Great job lady!!!

    ps. I'm in desperate need of your help (when you're free)...the beast of a sewing machine is calling my name but I'm afraid to attempt threading it on my own :P

    Ally

    ReplyDelete