Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"A mouse took a stroll through the deep, dark wood... A fox saw the mouse and the mouse looked good..."


Baby M. and I have been home with colds for the past few days, so instead of having gone baby-sledding, we now know our favourite book, "The Gruffalo," off by heart, beginning to end (never read it? Look it up when you get the chance- it's great)! I think Baby M.'s got the whole object-permanence idea now, because he laughs when I play peek-a-boo with him... before, when he didn't realize I was hiding and not gone forever, he'd look surprised when I popped out from behind the blanket. I live for this little boy's giggles (although he doesn't look too interested in this pic... I think he's getting sick of posing for the camera; he sees it often enough)!!

The local fabric specialty store has a huge sale on right now, and I managed to get out there for a few minutes, anyway. Baby M. is soon going to be too tall for his infant carseat and into a bigger seat, which means he won't be able to use the little cuddle bag he's got now, so I went looking for something soft but a bit heavy to sew on the outside of the fleece one I'm making him. I was thinking corduroy at first, but then saw something different which was on sale for a much better price. As a result, I now have this:

Three metres of I'm-not-sure-what-to-do-with-it
light blue velveteen!

"If you see a material that you love and it's on sale, buy it, because you'll always find something to do with it," my mom told me tonight when I showed it to her (and my mom is the best seamstress/cook/painter/crafty lady I know... that's not just fluffy daughter talk, either). Well, I love this material - the colour is really pretty and it's super soft - but I have no idea how to use it. I'm thinking maybe a little pair of pants for Baby M., or overalls? A little dress for my baby niece?  Maybe another stuffed toy? Help! Suggestions would be appreciated! :)

I also bought some fleece (on sale for $5 a metre- woo hoo) - blue with Peter Rabbit-style bunnies - to make a blanket for my adorable, just-born nephew (and, sadly, I only know he's adorable from pictures, because I can't go visit until my cold is gone)! Five babies in two years in our family, and only one of them a
girl.


Bedtime for me, and finishing Russell Brand's autobiography. I have a big crush on him, but the book is a little... jarring. What should I have expected, though, really? Night night! :)

5 comments:

  1. http://tinyurl.com/4as2c

    Read, and make, "The Velveteen Rabbit".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you make with it! Oh, and might I suggest a 2010 Sunshine Radian XT or Radian Premier for your new carseat? They're the only ones in Canada that rear-face to 45 lbs (and FF from 20-65 as well). They also have an 8 year expiry date, as opposed to 6 years for most seats. One of the best seats on the market! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay you have to make a velveteen rabbit. It's a neccessity.

    Other than that:
    squares for sensory blocks or a sensory quilt velveteen, fake fur, corduroy, satin, pleather and felt would make a neat combo)
    A twirl skirt for a little girl
    Definitely overalls and this hat to match http://mushroomvillagers.wordpress.com/the-eddie-cap-tutorial/
    a tooth fairy pillow
    a purse for a little girl

    As for the post above. The Radian is great - it's also the only car seat that can be tethered while rear-facing. It's a heavy sucker, though, so don't plan on transferring vehicles a lot with it. That said, it's also one of the narrowest seats so will fit in just about any car. I'm not sure what the newer models are like, ours was pretty bare bones and we found that one it was turned front facing, long car trips meant an uncomfortable child as there's no arms or headrest. I think the newer models are a little more luxe though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Where did you ladies get the Radian? We were looking at the new Graco My Ride... they can rear-face until 40 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the Radian at www.dearbornbaby.com

    I figure, if you're going to spend money on a good seat, why not spend a few more bucks and get the best, right?

    That said, it is a very tall seat, so while it will likely fit FFing in just about any car, it definitely won't fit RFing in any car. I definitely recommend trying it out first before buying. That's difficult around here, since I don't think anyone sells them here, but you can try mine if you need to.

    And yeah, they're heavy. That's due to the steel frame. But they fold up small....much smaller than any other convertible on the market.

    And they will tether RFing. The Britax Boulevard and Marathon also tether RFing, but they only RF to 30 or 35 lbs. And they're a much wider seat and take up a lot more space.

    ReplyDelete